Finding a new pair of workout shorts is trickier than it sounds.
I know – it took me so much time to find the perfect pair of shorts that’s not just functional but also looks amazing. If you’re searching for the best women’s workout shorts you can get your hands on, I’ve got great news for you.
I’ve done the hard work, and I’m here to share that information!
Here we go:
TOP 15 Best Women’s Workout Shorts Reviewed 2019
ODODOS High Waist Out Pocket Yoga Shorts
Review: Worried about the appearance of your muffin top? Well, you don’t have to be with ODODOS’ yoga shorts! The tummy control fabric in these shorts ensures that you never have to suck it in just to look good while exercising.
I’ve had the unfortunate experience of ripping through my shorts during a challenging yoga class before. Unfortunately, it was in the crotch region.
So – if you want to avoid my embarrassing mistake, get these shorts. Its four-way stretch material will contour perfectly to your body no matter what position you’re in.
- Non-see-through fabric – doesn’t let everyone know the exact brand, color, and pattern of your underwear.
- Four-way stretch material – provides you with unrestricted movement.
- Tummy control waistband – takes your mind off sucking your guts in so you can enjoy your workout fully.
- Outer Pockets – Store your valuables securely.
Possibly one of the best women’s fitness shorts for active women worried about their muffin tops.
Baleaf Women’s High Waist Compression Shorts
Review: If you frequently deal with uncomfortable inner-thighs chafing during your workouts, get Baleaf’s eight inches high-waisted compression shorts.
The longer inseam provides you with additional coverage that prevents your thighs from rubbing against each other.
The material also wicks away excess sweat so you stay dry, fresh, and comfortable even during the toughest workouts. Its fabric is entirely non-see-through, so the shorts will pass any bend-over tests you subject them to with flying colors!
- Moisture-wicking – keeps you fresh, even as you sweat.
- Longer inseam – prevents uncomfortable inner-thigh abrasions.
- Gusseted crotch – allows for greater freedom of movement.
This is an excellent option for you if you continuously deal with painful, irritated inner-thighs after your workouts.
Nike Women’s Dri-fit Tempo Track Shorts
Review: Enjoy exercising under the moonlight? For your safety’s sake, you’re best off buying Nike’s Tempo Track Shorts – they have been designed with reflective details that help make you visible to passing traffic in low-light conditions.
If you hate handwashing your activewear, you’ll be pleased to know that these shorts are machine-washable. Its Dri-FIT fabric is made from 100% polyester and will help keep you dry and comfortable.
Perfect for long runs, intensive yoga sessions, or just about anything in between.
- Elastic waist with inner drawcord – tighten, or loosen for an enhanced, individualized fit.
- Dri-FIT fabric – moves sweat quickly to the shorts’ outer surface for a cooling effect.
- Hidden waistband pocket – easily stash spare cash or key.
Price aside, Nike’s Dri-fit Tempo Track Shorts are the best athletic shorts for women who enjoy working out at night. Remember safety first, always.
Under Armour Women’s Play Up Shorts
Review: If you’re an active woman who’s ready to workout in just sports bra, and a good pair of shorts, Under Armour’s Play Up Shorts are right up your alley.
The stylish, branded waistband will make you look put-together and stylish. Throw a light jacket over, and you’ll be ready for the day’s schedule after the sweat session!
These 100% polyester shorts bring you superior comfort and breathability in a beautiful, lightweight material. You never have to worry about lugging unnecessary baggage either – it comes with convenient side pockets.
- Anti-pill/anti-pick finish – these will still look good after multiple wears and washes.
- Anti-odor technology – you don’t want to smell bad after a workout, do you?
- Sweat-wicking material – dries fast, so the shorts don’t slap uncomfortably (and wetly) against your thighs.
- Might not fit as well for curvier women.
These shorts’ stylish design does not compromise its core functionality – to be a piece of durable, and fast-drying activewear. In my opinion, this makes it one of the best workout shorts for women.
Cadmus Women’s High Waist Stretch Workout Shorts
Review: When things get really warm – like when you’re exercising in a humid environment – Cadmus’ high-waisted athletic workout shorts are a great choice.
Its light-weight fabric has been designed to be quick-dry, so it wicks sweat away and allows you to stay comfortable and happy.
Its thick material provides you with adequate coverage, so you never have to worry about your underwear showing through.
All in all, it’s a versatile choice for active women who take part in various activities – from yoga to weightlifting, and even running!
- Flatlock seams – reduce inner-thighs chafing and discomfort.
- Gusseted crotch – allows for a full range of motion without ripping.
- Hidden waistband pocket – safely store your keys, and cards while you’re exercising.
Perfect workout shorts to have for when the weather turns warm.
Adidas Women’s Parma Soccer Shorts
Review: Although they’re designed for soccer players, these Adidas Soccer Shorts perform well and are designed to give you comfort for a variety of activities.
With the brand’s specialty Climatlite fabric, these shorts sweep sweat away from your body and are capable of keeping you dry for 90 minutes, and beyond.
Want a comfortable, adjustable fit? You’ve got it – the shorts feature an inner drawstring within its elastic closure waistband.
- Climalite fabric – keeps you cool, fresh, and dry for extended periods.
- Inner drawstring – adjust as necessary for a perfect fit.
Probably one of the best women’s workout shorts for those who enjoy endurance sports.
Tough Mode Women’s Compression Athletic Shorts
Review: Tired of wearing the same old, boring workout shorts? Stand out from the crowd with Tough Mode’s athletic shorts – they come in a variety of funky, and eye-catching patterns that are bound to brighten any workout session.
Pineapples on shorts? Yes, please!
These patterned shorts are designed to be compression wear: they’ll hold your muscles firmly in place and improve blood flow to your lower body. You can, therefore, look forward to enhanced athletic performance while still looking cute!
- Funky designs – brighten up a dull workout session.
- Non-see-through material – bend over without risking your modesty.
- Compression fabric – boosts athletic performance.
You need to grab yourself a pair if you’re looking to spice up your activewear selection.
Little Donkey Andy Women’s Quick Dry Shorts
Review: These quick-dry shorts from Little Donkey Andy have been made especially for women who prefer to sweat it out in the wild outdoors.
Its breathable, and quick-dry material dries quickly, so you can trek, or mountaineer to your heart’s content without worrying about sweat clinging on to you.
Need to really stretch those legs on a steep climb? You’ll be well-prepared with the shorts’ way-stretch fabric. Did I mention that it can protect you from harmful Sun rays? Well, it can: its material is certified to be UPF 50+.
- Four-way stretch fabric – hike as much as you want without worrying about tears.
- Quick-dry fabric – water-repellent, so it dries quickly to keep you cool and dry.
- UPF 50+ – protects you from harmful UV rays.
One of the options in 2019 for active women who prefer the great outdoors.
CRZ Yoga Women’s Workout Shorts
Review: You’ll find yourself looking forward to your workout sessions with these cute workout shorts from CRZ Yoga.
In addition to giving these shorts a stylish appearance, the outer drawstrings also enable you to tighten the fit of the waistband to your preference.
The shorts also come with reflective detailing, so you never have to worry about your safety while exercising under low-light conditions.
- Built-in liner – offers extra coverage so you can work out modestly.
- Sweat-wicking fabric – pulls sweat away from your body, and dries fast.
- Back zip-pocket – securely store your keys while you’re working out.
- May shrink after washing.
These are it if you’re looking for a stylish, and cute pair of workout shorts to add to your collection.
Core 10 Women’s Wide Waistband Shorts
Review: Look no further if you’re looking for a pair of shorts that doesn’t get in the way of your performance. Core 10’s shorts have been manufactured with the goal of becoming your go-to “shorty” short.
Its length offers you adequate coverage without ever bunching around your thighs.
Its reflective accents also provide enhanced visibility, so you’re kept safe during night activities.
- Moisture-wicking fabric – allows sweat to evaporate quickly from your skin.
- Hidden zip back pocket – keep spare cash and keys by your side as you work up a thirst.
- Exposed satin drawcord – offers you a fully adjustable waistband fit.
- Not as flattering when it runs to larger sizes.
Need to give your 100% to your workouts without worrying about excess bunching of fabric? Grab a pair of these shorts.
90 Degree By Reflex Power Flex Yoga Shorts
Review: You should know by now that I’m an ardent fan of workout shorts that double as shapewear. Which is why I’m entirely in love with these yoga shorts.
These shorts keep you hugged in and trim your silhouette, making them suitable even for wearing under dresses or skirts.
Their moisture-wicking abilities will keep you cool and dry no matter where you are – from the studio, to the streets, and even to your local gym!
- Compression shorts – boosts performance, and doubles as shapewear.
- Interlock stitching – prevents chafing and discomfort.
- Gusseted crotch – offers unrestricted mobility.
- Inconsistency in quality.
These are easily the best women’s gym shorts, given their ability to double as functional activewear, and shapewear.
EttelLut Booty Fold Over Exercise Dolphin Shorts
Review: If you’ve been working out hard in the gym, and want to show off your booty gains, these shorts will show off your beautiful curves.
These booty shorts end just right underneath the butt cheek and are sexy without compromising your modesty.
EttelLut’s dolphin shorts are made with 95% cotton and 5% spandex – they’re highly versatile and can be worn for a variety of athletic activities.
- Soft, premium fabric – provides maximum comfort.
- Available in many colors – choose a color which best suits your style and preferences.
You need a pair of these if you want to flaunt your booty gains.
Munvot Women’s Yoga Shorts
Review: Feel out of this world with these space-themed yoga shorts from Munvot. These printed workout shorts feature chafe-free and ergonomic seams that offer you a comfortable and natural range of motion.
Its high-rise and wide waistband will also stay snugly in place around your waist – concentrate on working out hard instead of always pulling up your shorts.
- Thick fabric – squat, lunge and bend over without exposing your underwear to the world.
- Side pockets with depth – keep your phone by your side while you work up a sweat.
- Dry-wicking material – keeps you dry throughout the most strenuous activities.
- It does not hold up well with wear and tear.
Munvot’s yoga shorts are ideal for active women who seek a different look in their activewear.
Champion Women’s Mesh Shorts
Review: Light-weight and extremely breathable, these mesh shorts will keep you dry and comfortable even during your sweatiest workouts.
The shorts come fitted with a silky-smooth inner lining, so you never have to fret about painful inner-thighs rubbing.
Champion’s mesh shorts are 100% polyester, and therefore, machine-washable.
- Light, breathable mesh material – promotes cooling ventilation, reduces excessive sweating.
- Silky-smooth inner lining – prevents chafing and rubbing of the inner thighs.
- Elastic waistband – comfortable, snug fit around the waist.
- Might be slightly see-through.
As long as you wear a garment underneath, these mesh workout shorts can keep you dry and comfortable for a long time.
Review: Whether you’re working out in the gym or taking a stroll around your neighborhood, these breathable yoga shorts from TSLA are bound to keep you comfortable.
Its ultra-stretch fit ensures that you’ll experience unrestricted movement throughout your activities.
Keep your credit card or keys safely by your side in the shorts’ hidden pockets.
- Non-see-through fabric – passes all ‘bend-over’ tests with flying colors.
- Moisture-wicking – enhanced drying capabilities so you stay cool and dry.
- Ultra-stretch fit – conforms perfectly to your every move.
Definitely give these a go if you’re always doing heavy lifts, like squats and deadlifts. They’re meant to be non-see-through.
What To Know Before Buying Workout Shorts?
Different activities call for specific workout shorts – be sure to base your buying choice on the types of exercises you most frequently participate in.
Also, there is a good chance that shorts are not what you prefer when working out, therefore, you might want to look at the Best Workout Leggings for Women. A list we put together so you would have more great options to choose from.
Here’s a quick guideline you can keep in mind:
You should definitely look out for ‘moisture-wicking,’ and breathable fabrics in your workout shorts if you frequently head out for runs. You don’t want sweat to pool in your shorts, and slap uncomfortably against your thighs while you’re covering long distances.
Here’s a list of common dry-wicking materials you should keep an eye out for:
Yoga, Pilates, and Barre
If you’re always stretching, sitting, and bending over in your activities, you need workout shorts that can allow you unrestricted movement.
Don’t repeat the same embarrassing mistake I made of ripping through my crotch area in the middle of yoga class. Just – don’t.
Only buy workout shorts that have ‘four-way stretch’ capabilities. Such shorts will conform to your body and natural movements without tearing.
Spend all your waking hours in the gym? Always go for entirely opaque workout shorts.
You don’t want everyone in the weights room to make out the exact brand of your underwear while you’re in the middle of an exhausting set of squats.
If you are only thinking about getting into lifting more weights, be sure to read our Muscle Building for Women Guide to get the most out of your weight training.
If you’re buying the workout shorts in a retail store, be sure to try them out. Bend over, and see if you can tell what color your underwear is in the fitting room.
Better yet, if you’ve got company, ask them if they can see anything when you do a few squats.
Prefer to shop online? No worries – just be sure to do your due diligence and read through all available customer reviews. You’ll find out if the shorts are really as non-see-through they’re marketed to be.
Woah – that was quite a comprehensive coverage on some of the best women’s workout shorts! Hopefully, you’ve managed to find one that is best suited to your own preferences.
If not, I hope the quick guide can help you make a better-informed decision for yourself.
If you did not find what you were looking for, take a look at our list of top women’s running shorts that could also become your ultimate workout shorts.
If you found this useful, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter for more informational content! We also provide free access to downloadable guides, and workout plans in our e-mails – you don’t want to miss out!